From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:34:29 -0800
I would like to draw the subscribers' attention to an organization
called Youth Empowerment Center for Creative Achievement (YECCA), which
provides free music instruction and instruments to kids in South Central
Los Angeles.  These kids live in one of the most notoriously gang-infested
areas in the US, but have shown a great interest in learning music.  The
trouble is, they cannot afford instruments or lessons, and there is no
music education in their schools.  Margaret Martin of YECCA contacted us,
and she informed us of this group's commendable efforts to bring music to
these kids.  She told me that they need of instruments of any kind, but
especially smaller (children-sized) stringed instruments to be donated
for the children's use.

The value of these instruments would be tax-deductable for the donor,
of course.  They also need musicians in the Los Angeles area who may be
willing to volunteer their services to instruct.  Margaret Martin can be
reached at (323)466-6641.  Please mention this post.  Many on this list
have lamented the deplorable state of music education in in our schools.
Here's a chance to do something about it.

Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series~
http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/4684/