From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:40:19 -0500
William Boletta wrote:

>I am visiting New York City, and attended a performance of the NYC Opera's
>current production of Madama Butterfly. ... I was astonished to see two of
>the three trumpet players and two of the three trombonists as well reading
>books, newspapers and magazazines during their rests. ... One trombonist
>(who I could swear was reading TIME) almost missed his entrances several
>times.  ... Is this considered acceptable behavior among pit musicians
>these days? I know that the brass play infrequently during many pieces
>(including Buttefly), but doesn't such behavior bespeak a kind of cynicism
>about the music (or the job!).

I'm sorry, but I had to smile when I read this.  Not from disdain and I am
in no way making fun of the expressed sentiments.  I understand them.  Just
in wistful memory of fond days gone by.

I must also say, I'm guilty.  A former free lance trombonist, I used to
read in the pit, too.  After ten La Bohemes, I guess you just have all
the entrances memorized, and it's a long long wait between some of them.
Though I cannot countenance missing entrances, and I never did that.  But
I'm afraid to say, I've seen it and done it--very discreetly, of course.

By they way.  Check out the Met pit and you'll see trumpet and trombone
players coming and going during the opera.  Some brilliant pit designer saw
that doors were conveniently posted near the brass, allowing them frequent
and inoccuous exits.

Roger Hecht