From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 19:15:25 -0500
Well, I think a .bit.  more could be said about the music anyhow- the
violin concerto, one of the loveliest I know of from this century; In Terra
Pax, which seems on the basis of what I've heard from it (I hope to hear
the whole thing soon) to be a wonderful oratorio; the other works better
known and almost- and deservedly- established masterpieces.  Martin was a
unique musician of wonderful and memorable sensibility many of whose works
seem to me to finally accomplish that synthesis that I'm often looking for
(hear the for once .successful.  melding of Romantic classical, modern
classical, and somewhat-jazz?? in the first piano concerto on Claves, if
you can).  And while not 100% consistent to my ears (there .are.  some
works that bore me:(), there is just so much by him that's worth hearing.
Thanks, Mr. Gaskell, for informing us of the existence of this Double
Decca set...  I know I'll be looking out for it next I'm looking for CDs.

Eric Schissel