Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 18:59:34 -0400
From:
"Robert M. Stumpf II" <[log in to unmask]>
They are the finest I know.  I have several recordings including Perlman's,
which is considered the best by many, and I much prefer Milstein.

Interestingly Randy Crandall writes:

>The performances are wonderful.  Hopefuly, without offending anyone's
>sensibilities, I'll say that for me some portions of Milstein's perfomances
>have a very "jazzy" feel to them.  When I listen to them I feel like I'm
>being sucked into an aural universe that excludes everything else; and the
>longer the piece goes on, the more totally enraptured I am with the music
>and music making.

I find myself appreciating Bartok when listening to Milstein.  This is
not to mean that Milstein's Bach sounds like Bartok, but that I can hear
where Bartok got some ideas for his dark music.  I can also now listen
to my other recordings and hear what I had been missing.  Perlman, for
example, doesn't plumb the depths the way Milstein does.  Perlman is almost
a Herbert von Karajan of the solo violin.  Everything is beautiful but it
is always beautiful and never gets to other feelings.  Sorry to go on like
this.

Grab the discs.  Okay, I don't mean shoplifting.  I got mine for free as
one of my bonus CDs when I joined the BMG club.

Peace,
bob stumpf
http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/maestrno/