Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 14:56:35 -0500
From:
Andrea Hakari <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Martin Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
>Can someone out there help jog my memory, please? I am sure I saw, a few
>months ago, a reference to a new recording of Holst's wonderful arrangement
>for wind band of Bach's _Fuga alla giga_.  Said memory was sure the
>recording was on a Chandos disc (part of a recital of wind pieces, I
>thought), but Chandos couldn't find it and neither could I looking through
>their online catalogue.  Can anyone supply details of the CD I am obviously
>only half-remembering, please? I've bounced this one of the British music
>list, too, so far without success.

A quick spin to Amazon reveals this recording:

British Wind Band Classics (Chandos 9697)

It's by Timothy Reynish conducting the Royal Northern College of Music
Wind Orchestra, and just came out in February.  I'm mildly surprised that
Frederick Fennell and either Dallas Wind Symphony or Cleveland Symphonix
Winds haven't gotten to this first.  It is a delightful arrangement, but I
think Holst must have been downing some pretty stiff drinks when he came up
with that bass clarinet part =)

--Andrea, now listening to ... Mozart: Sonata for bsn/vc, K.292
Unofficial webhead, http://www.kingssing.com
AOL Instant Messenger: ELCAMDiv2B