Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 08:56:42 -0400
From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
David Stewart wrote of Zemlinsky:

>So what should be my first CD - tell me the label as well - I am
>feeling lazy.  Also budget or less would be nice.

Since your mentioned favourties are romantic works, what better
recommendation than Rachmaninov? I suggest his two big hits, the Rhapsody
on a Theme of Paganini and his Piano Concerto #2 -- which you've likely
heard before in some tempestuous black-and-white film, waves crashing
against a cliff, etc.  Not esp.  challenging music, and it certainly stands
up to repeated listening.  I've been revisiting the Agustin Anievas
versions for over 30 years, and they've been re-released in a double set
at a budget price -- a set that includes his PCs #s 1, 3 and 4 as well!

Rachmaninov, S (d.  1943):  Piano Concertos Nos.  1-4, Rhapsody on a Theme
of Paganini.  Agustin Anievas, piano, New Philharmonia Orchestra conducted
by Rafael Frubeck de Burgos, Moshe Atzmon and Aldo Ceccato (EMI 5 68619 2)

Bert Bailey