From:
Tony Duggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:29:36 -0800
Lewis Liu wrote:

>Recently, I saw advertisement on the BBC Legends series.  This series was
>already released in UK.  Could anyone give me the whole release story, the
>issue plan? Has anyone listened to these recordings and could you please
>leave us some comments? Thanks!

I think the BBC plan is to release between sixty and seventy CDs over the
next two to three years.  Alongside the main series there will be a set of
CDs featuring Benjamin Britten as performer of other people's music and
that one began with the second tranche of BBC Legends released this month.
All the discs contain what the BBC is describing as official opening of
their archives.  There have been two tranches so far.

I posted lengthy reviews of the Barbirolli Mahler 3rd and the Horenstein
Mahler 8th here a few months ago and they can be found in the archive or,
if you wish, I can forward them to you or you can find them on:

   http://www2.prestel.co.uk/musicweb/index.htm

I have posted a review of the Britten Mahler 4th etc released this month
in another posting tonight.  I shall be posting other reviews of a couple
of the latest issues quite soon.

As I say, I have heard the Horenstein Mahler 8 and Barbirolli Mahler 3,
also the Mravinsky Shostakovich 8th, Horenstein Bruckner 8 and 9, the
Britten Mahler 4 and a CD of British music conducted by Barbirolli.
Reviews to follow soon.

Tony Duggan
Staffordshire,
United Kingdom.