From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 08:10:24 -0600
John Dalmas wrote:

>The year 1899 saw the completion of three works still in the standard
>repertoire:
>
>Sibelius: Symphony No. 1
>Schoenberg: Verklarte Nacht (string sextet version)
>Elgar: Enigma Variations
>
>Anyone want to hazard a guess which three composers might come up this year
>with a work likely to be standard a century hence? ...

While I feel that is an interesting question, I find that the notion
disturbs me some.  I wonder, how many "standards" are there out there.
With the exception of the Sibelius, I haven't heard the other works in
concert in many years.  It seems to me that we are moving away from the
very notion of a standard.

Karl