From:
Gerry Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:34:47 +1030
I have found the Ring Disc (The Media Cafe) the most interesting of all
CD-ROMs on classical music that I have come across.  It is particularly
good in that you can follow the Leitmotive through the four operas very
well and see how they are related to each other; and how they are used in
various contexts.  Even though the sound must be highly compressed to fit
on one CD; it is quite acceptable but no substitute for 'real' CDs.

The Microsoft series of CD-ROMs (Multimedia Beethoven, Mozart, Strauss
are the one I have see) are interesting and have quite good simultaneous
commentaries.  I found the Strass CD-ROM to be the most interesting,
giving me many new insights into the three tone poems it contains (Till
Eulenspiegel, Metamorphosen and Don Juan.  Even the games with these CDs
are good practice in careful listening, despite some of the kitsch that
goes with them.

Have you looked at any of the new series from DG.(CD-plus-score) I have "My
First Recital" which has a very well designed, simultaneous score.  One can
also alter the score and play it as a midi file - quite interesting.

In my opinion the series from LaserLight/ Delta music although cheap, are
not worth even the modest asking price.

Gerry Kelly