From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:39:39 -0500
A few days ago in Milan I managed to snag some tickets to a recital held
at La Scala and featuring Renee Fleming, accompanied on the piano by Steven
Blier.  Ms Fleming, wide-eyed and very pretty, performed an interesting
program which included Franz Schubert's D720 Suleika, along with that of
Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy; and Schubert's Gretchen am Spinnrade D118,
along with that of Michail Glinka.  I doubt whether this was a case of
economizing with the memorization of Goethe, but it may have helped; for
though splendid of voice (except for the very first number, Schubsrt's
Suleika) Ms. Fleming's enunciation is simply not up with the best of
them--and that applies also to the French she brought to her six Debussy
selections.There was also some Richard Strauss, Franz Liszt and Hugo Wolff.
Applause was strong throughout the regular program of Lieder, but what
brought the house down were her encores--arias from Italian operas.  My of
my!  A great evening, withal, and one that offered as a most welcome
lagniappe the best darn accompaniment I've heard in years.  The man Blier
is a _most_ sensitive musician with perfect control in support of his
singer.  At least he was that evening.  Extraordinary.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]