HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Barbara Hickman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 11:00:02 -0500
George,

You may want to read Rosalie Wax's *Doing fieldwork; warnings and advice* (1971).  Ms Wax was one of the anthropologists and sociologists employed by the federal government to work in the internment camps during WWII.  Her book, in part, is an appraisal of her experiences while stationed in the facility.  I find it a much more realistic view of reasons sociologists and anthropologists were placed among the Japanese internees than Alexander Leighton's *The governing of men; general principles and recommendations based on experience at a Japanese relocation camp* (1945).  Mr Leighton tends to justify his role.  Leighton wore a military uniform throughout his time at the Poston, Arizona camp, and he emphasized his role as controlling the J-A's behavior.

While in the camps none of the social scientists committed any barbarous acts, but their work didn't cover them with glory, either.  Very little scholarly work was done at the camps.  They were there to observe, take notes on the general mood of the people, and report to the camp administrators.  Most of the anthropologists, including the Opler brothers, quietly returned to their prewar research interests and drew a veil over their camp experiences.  Some never spoke of the camps again.  Perhaps the participants felt uncomfortable with the ethics of their government work.

Another book you might want to check out is Lane Ryo Hirabashi's *The politics of fieldwork: research in an American concentration camp* (1999).

Barbara Hickman -- my opinions and not my employer's.