From:
Henk van Tuijl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:58:58 +0100
Donald Satz wrote:

>Was Lekeu a highly talented composer, and how would you describe his music?

He was highly talented.  Very ambitious also.  Wanted to develop his own
style on the foundations laid by the music of Wagner and of his teachers
Franck and d'Indy.  Melodies are the outstanding feature of his music.
As well as the usual mistakes one makes when one is young and still
experimenting.  His only work that is more than highly talented is the
Ysaye-Sonata for piano and violin.  It moves me deeply every time I hear
it.

Regards, Henk