From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 08:22:38 -0600
Donald Satz wrote:

>Karl Miller wrote:
>
>>What would be the technical qualifications for someone to service
>>the classical section of your record store?  A college degree in
>>music?
>
>Educational level would not be considered.  I would give minimal
>consideration to musical expertise.  Knowledge of applicable discography
>would receive great consideration.  A record store is a business, not a
>learning facility.  ...

For me, this perspective is at the core of the frustration I experience
with clerks in classical records sections.  I believe that a large part
of classical sales is educational in nature.  I guess we have different
expectations.  My limited experience showed me that the better we were with
educating our customers, the more they trusted us and the more they bought.
Also, from my experience, "turnover" rates in classical sales did not
follow the same curve that they did in popular sales.  However today, with
the frequency of reissues it might be more in line with popular music.

Karl