From:
Julia Werthimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 May 1999 21:52:54 -0700
Jon Johanning ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>>I was just reading the other day (in the NY Times, I think) an interesting
>>article about Signor Bocelli.  According to it, he is going to make his
>>U.S. opera debut in Werther this fall.  The author also pointed out that
>>some criticisms of him, for example, that he does not follow conductors
>>well or gesture well when performing opera, are related to his blindness.
>>Does anyone believe that blind opera singers should be given some
>>allowances in such areas, or should we advise them to find another career?

And Deryk Barker rejoined:

>Given that I don't care for opera....
>
>But I think this is a dangerous notion: how far would you take it? making
>allowances for one-armed pianists? (And I'm not referring to the Ravel
>concerto)

As an opera lover, I think it is a deadly notion.  Leaving aside the
fact that Bocelli does not have the technique to sing opera - there are
already far too many opera singers whose idea of performance is to stand
on the stage and just sing, forgetting that opera is a dramatic medium that
requires effective acting as well as singing.  Bocelli is clearly going to
add to that number; and because he is so popular he will reinforce the idea
of opera as something static, rather than the vibrant art it should be.
(Of course he could always sing Act III of Samson and Delila!:-)

Julia Werthimer <[log in to unmask]>
California, USA