From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 17:19:08 -0400
Some perhaps lesser-known additions to the list of marvellous works
already quoted:

   Boris Blacher: Poem
   Konstantin Iliev: Symphony No. 6
   Rudolf Karel: Nonet
   Frank Martin: Polyptych
   Nikolai Myaskovsky: Symphony No. 27
   Slavko Osterc: Mother
   Allan Pettersson: Symphony No. 16
   Gavriil Popov: Symphony No. 6
   Jaroslav Ridky: Symphony No. 7

Among those, at least Myaskovsky, Pettersson and Ridky composed their
consciously last symphony.  Myaskovsky's melodic inspiration (at least in
the first two parts) arguably belongs to his finest.  Pettersson's 16th is
rather overlooked, but I have always found that it had a strong healing
power, in quite a different way from his previous works.  Some might find
the hushed ultimate major triad facile, but I don't.  Ridky's 7th,
completed within three months, is a large Late Romantic work and a
heartbraking message of hope and love for life.  It should appeal to people
who like Fibich, Dvorak and Bruckner -- despite its strong classicism, it
has a great freshness of thought, bold lyricism and a voice quite its own.
(If Panton has not reported the LP conducted by Vaclav Neumann on CD as
yet, well, they should.)

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le