From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 21:36:19 PDT
Ulvi Yurtsever wrote:

>I don't underestimate melody, Mozart had a phenomenal gift for it...

That's what it all comes down to - melody.  Sure, we can debate
consistency, profundity, clarity of musical arguments, etc.  But, Mozart
was the "melody man".  That's what makes him famous and distinctive.  He
rolled great melodies on to every page of music; sometimes, listening to
his music, I feel that I'm being bombarded with a continuous string of
them.  It's a powerful and thoroughly rewarding experience.

As for Ulvi's and my differences concerning the uneveness of Mozart's
works, our opinions will not change nor should they.  We agree on the
melody quotient, and that's the primary strength of Mozart.

Don Satz