From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 20:19:34 -0500
Harold C. Verdun wrote:

>As I said, it's not a bad station-not sure if I would classify it
>with WFMT but it works for me-maybe the nostalgia-when they give traffic
>reports-I know what they are talking about and am glad I don't live there
>any more.

While, as Harold says, it's not bad, it's fortunately not the only game in
town either.  Washington's public radio station WETA and Baltimore's WBJC,
which I hear more clearly in VA than when I drive over to DC, have fewer
commercials.  (I say "fewer" because, even though they're public radio,
they give short plugs to their corporate contributors, and of course
advertise themselves.) WETA, my default station, generally plays complete
works, even during drive time in the later AM (PM is for "Fresh Air", "All
Things Considered", "Market Place" and news broadcasts) and has a
reasonable mix of seldom heard works.

It was apparently dangerous at one time to listen to WGMS or its
predecessor.  In a Suapreme Court case, the name of which has slipped
my mind, a Navy Department employee, whom the Court found to have been
improperly declared a security risk, had been considered suspect because,
among other things, he subscribed to the WGMS program guide.

Walter Meyer