From:
Tom Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 1999 19:28:58 -0400
I had been following the discussion on the Schubert Winterreise with
interest and kept a copy of your recommendations.  I have the Dieskau/Moore
recording on vinyl from the early 60's.  Although I haven't listened to
that in some time, I was perusing the Berkshire catalogue a few weeks ago
and saw the above recording (US$2.99).  Couldn't resist for that price.
What a stunning recording.  (And I am frankly amazed at the sound from this
vintage.)

My indicator of 'great' recordings is not very structured.  I just realize
there are some recordings that get played a lot, and if the past week is an
indicator, this is a great one.  I'm writing to thank you for your the
suggestions.

By the way, there is also a wonderful Goldberg Variations with Leonhardt
(US $5.99, but still a bargain) that has been on my CD player quite a bit
during this week as well, and probably will remain so.  Berkshire also has
Dermota/Dermota and Souzay/Baldwin recordings, but I am not certain which
versions they are.

Best regards,

Tom Connor