From:
Mikael Rasmusson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:36:07 +0100
Don Satz wrote:

>>Are any list members familiar with the music of Sjogren? I'd appreciate any
>>insight you can provide.

Peter Lundin replies:

>Well I have heard and played some of it, I think Don, that You are familiar
>with both Stenhammar and Petersson-Berger, flavor these with some d'Indy
>and Debussy and make it chamber music that is Emil Sjogren.

There's maybe a hint of Debussy in his solo songs, but I've hard to find
somewhere else.

>ES music is well crafted, never dull, at best; very inventive - Some of his
>piano pieces is often used for advancing piano students, atleast thats
>where I got to know them 25 years ago.

His pianomusic is well crafted, sometimes dull, sometimes very charming.

Than-Tam Lee:

>...  Often described as "instrumental wreaths of songs without words",
>they could be compared with Grieg's sonatas, but they look simpler at
>first hearing.  ...

A very good description!  A Swedish Schumann or Chopin flavoured with some
Grieg.  I think that his solo songs shows him as an "inventive" composer.
He did establish some sort of Swedish identity, which was important for
P-B, Stenhammar and Alfven.

Mikael Rasmusson, who is hoping that Peterson-Berger's Violin Sonatas (3)
will be recorded on CD (and his complete pianomusic and his complete Solo
songs).