From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 17:30:07 -0400
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have some inte3rest in a 2-cd set of violin sonatas by Sjogren.  I read
>a review in ARG which was highly favorable, but little information was
>provided concerning musical style.
>
>Are any list members familiar with the music of Sjogren? I'd appreciate any
>insight you can provide.

This would be a question for our members from Sweden, James Zehm for
instance, but if you are referring to the Musica Sveciae CD-box, I have
it.  My advice would be, go ahead and buy it, but here is what I could say
in short.  Sjogren's sonatas can at least boast historical interest.  They
are among the best-known and most beloved Swedish (and even Nordic) chamber
works of the Romantic era.  Often described as "instrumental wreaths of
songs without words", they could be compared with Grieg's sonatas, but
they look simpler at first hearing.  Don't expect revolutionary harmonic
modulations or incredible lyrical outbursts.  Simple and direct music it
is, but if the phrase "refined simplicity" means something, it certainly
applies to Sjogren.  The fluidity of thought and sense of balance are
most remarkable, notably in Sonata No. 2, the most impressive overall.
Although the style is markedly different, Sjogren shares with Goldmark the
ability to give to each detail or modulation its full weight, and so this
is music to be experienced at long, intensely, for it will never try to
conceal lack of inspiration with rhetorical gestures.

If you want stylistic references, Schumann is not very far, but really the
mood is Sjogren's own.  Once again, those are artsong sonatas, basically
melodic, without ever giving the impression that words are lacking -- it
is not descriptive melodism.

As for performances, most are excellent and elegant, one or two are
slightly less masterly in technical terms but quite revealing nonetheless.
If you can find it, I'd strongly recommend another CD of Late Romantic
music for violin and piano from Sweden, including Kallstenius' and
Stenhammar's sonatas by Sparf and Forsberg.  Beautiful music and completely
different from Sjogren, especially Kallstenius's astonishingly bold work.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le