From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 12:53:26 PDT
I've enjoyed the two Schubert piano trios for many years with a relative
preference for Opus 99.  However, recent purchases of two period instrument
recordings have altered that view.  The recordings are L'Archibudelli on
Sony and? on Winter & Winter(an Italian group- I'm at work).

Both performances are exceptional, and my appreciation of Opus 100 has
risen measureably, particularly the first two movements which are
masterful.

Reviews of the two recordings have not been uniformly excellent, because
some anti-period instrument reviewers are still allowed to review these
discs.  Just disregard those reviews and pay attention to what I'm
recommending - the Winter & Winter, L'Archibudelli, and the Florestan
Trio on Koch/Discover.

It really floors me that these anti-Hip folks would even agree to review
period instrument performances.  You can usually tell who they are from
the tone of their reviews:  condescending, reluctant to say good things,
negative words about the early days of the HIP movement, nostalgic remarks
about modern strings, etc.  I want to read reviews of period instrument
recordings by those who like them; reviews by other types are a waste of
paper and my time.  ARG is a major culprit in this matter.  In the most
recent issue, a reviewer lambasted the Huggett/Mozart recording on Virgin
of the Sinfonia Concertante, stating that it was as terrible as those
recordings of the early HIP days.  That reviewer was on a different planet
- unfortunately one that is not sufficiently far away.  Thank you for
letting me vent about this.  Last thought - that Virgin disc is stunning.

Don Satz