From:
Edgar Beach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 19:39:03 -0400
Ulvi Yurtsever wrote in reply to my request:

>He is probably talking about the two "Ricercares" from the Musical
>Offering (a three-part and a six-part fugue, resp.), not the whole piece.
>For the other movements Bach himself designated various combinations of
>instruments, and a large section is a standard Baroque trio sonata with fl.
>vn.  hpscd.  and continuo.

Thank you, you are correct.  He was talking specifically about the six part
"Ricercares"  My mistake for not being clearer.

Billy Kitson wrote

>I would need ONE H...  of a lot of Convincing that "Der Kunst der Fugue"
>was written for the "new fangled Joanna"!!  In Good olde australian
>BULLS...!!  Load of Poppycock, Sah!!  I shall be alive for 20 years (I
>Hope) TRY to 1/2 Con- vince me!!

My Australian is quite rusty.  Joanna?  Sah?

I assume you take issue with Mr.  Rosens claiming it was written
specifically for Keyboard piano (newfangled Joanna?) He specifically states
"the six voice ricercare from 'The Musical Offering' to be his greatest
fugue" (considered by many musicians to be so).  that "it is the first
piece composed for the recently invented piano" No one is trying to "con -
vince" you.  Just reporting what a noted music critic has said about it.
Again, my fault for not being specific.  Sorry.

I am listening to it now - performed by the Capella Istropolitana on Naxos.
Lovely!  My first experience with it and I am anxious to hear it on Piano.
Thanks to all for the recommended recordings.

Ed Beach