From:
Tan-Trao Phi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 11:43:33 -0300
Tom Connor wrote:

>While at it, I also ordered the Moravec recording of the Chopin Nocturnes.
>It is a very nice Saturday afternoon here north of Philadelphia.  I don't
>know if this is the 'best' recording of this music, but then I don't know
>which is more fun, red-heads or blondes either.

I have made previous postings expressing my strong enthusiasm for the
Vietnamese pianist Dang Thai Son's recording of the complete Nocturnes on
the Analekta label, and I don't think it would hurt to repeat myself.  I
am confident that there exists no debate over Dang Thai Son's exceptional
artistry in the interpretation of Chopin's works.  In the particular
recording of the Nocturnes, the refined poetry, the exquisite rubato, and
the gorgeous tone of the great artist are magnificently captured.  There
is a wonderful sense of balance, and the interpretation is full of emotion.
This set very easily matches Rubinstein's magnificent set (RCA) in terms of
poetry, and definitely surpasses it as far as sound quality and intensity
of feeling are concerned.

Regarding red-heads or blondes, I couldn't tell you!:)

Tan-Trao Phi