From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 21:50:11 -0500
Tom Connor wrote:

>I just received my copy of the Lipatti Chopin Waltzes so many on this list
>have been recommending.  I would like to thank each of you.  Superb music
>making.

Now that you've taken the plunge, you should get the other set of Chopin
Waltzes played by Lipatti.  (I assume you got only one.)

Assuming they're still issued under their earlier catalogue numbers:

One (EMI CDC 7 47390 1) has the fourteen waltzes usually played (there are
more) plus the Barncarole in f# minor, op.  60, Nocturne in Db, Opl 27 #2,
and Mazurka in c# minor, Op.  50 #3)

The other (EMI CDH 5 65166 2)is a recording of Lipatti's last concert
at the Besancon Festival, shortly before he died (in his thirties, of
leukemia), at which his strength would no permit him to play all fourteen
of those waltzes, the second being omitted.  The CD also contains
Schubert's Impromptus Nos 2 in Eb and 3 in Gb, D.899, Mozart's Piano Sonata
No.  8 in a minor, K.  310, and Bach's Patita No.  1 in Bb BWV 825.

Whichever one you have, it's great, but you should have the other as well.

Walter Meyer