From:
Stirling S Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 18:32:54 -0400
Walter Meyer wrote:

>Jeff Tedford wrote:
>
>>I dismissed the Pulitzer committee when they refused/rescinded the award
>>to Duke Ellington in 1969.  At the time Ellington quipped: "I guess they
>>didn't me to be famous at such a young age."
>
>Am I the only reader who doesn't know what that was about?  A quick check
>of the New Grove failed to indicate any reference to a Pulitzer in their
>section on Ellington, either as w/held or rescinded.

The comittee awarded the prize to Ellington and then the pulitzer board
refused to grant it.  That the New Grove has refused to document this
properly is adding shame to it on top of the shame that the P-Committee
earned itself.

Stirling S Newberry