From:
Lionel Choi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Apr 1999 13:23:03 +0800
Wilson Pereira wrote concerning a new conductor for the BPO:

>Some favourites: (a) Sir Simon Rattle;  (b) Daniel Barenboim;
>(c) Mariss Jansons;  (d) Lorin Maazel;  (e) Zubin Mehta and
>(f) Riccardo Muti.

I'm not about to vote for a favourite to take over Abbado (whose shoes must
be quite difficult to fill, I'm sure).

But I just want to say that if Zubin Mehta actually gets it, then we shall
all hold our breaths and watch the great Berlin Philharmonic, which has
been made all the richer by legacies left behind by Nikisch, Richard
Strauss, Furtwangler and Karajan, sink like a magnificent doomed ship.

Lionel Choi
Singapore
http://www.singnet.com.sg/~lionelc/dummies.html