From:
"Peter J. Schledorn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 22:56:17 -0400
Chris Bonds wrote:

>Steven Schwartz wrote:
>
>>The hell of it is that at least one US Senator has fulminated against
>>PBS as "elitist." So the Tesh and the Yanni are now the property of
>>the "elite."

Rarely have I been happier to be one of the great unwashed.

>And what happened even to the Philharmonic broadcasts? I haven't seen
>one this year!

Back in the 60s they were easy to find and hard to listen to (Mahler on a
three-inch speaker . . .).  Now that television sound has improved, the
concerts have largely disappeared.  I find this disappointing, too.

>Don't even get me started on the 2X/year (is it really that seldom?)
>"friend-raiser" offerings.  Lord of the Dance? Give me a friggin
>break...

I thought it might help if I retitled it The Rite of Irish Spring.

Didn't.

Best,
Peter, looking forward, though, to the composer biographies tomorrow
(Wednesday) night, despite the fact that there aren't likely to be any
extended musical quotes and they only have an hour per composer . . .