From:
Everitt Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 16:27:26 -0400
David Simmons wrote:

>As a booster of all things Virginian, I have heard good things about the
>Shenandoah University in Winchester, Va.  [snip]
>
>It's a good deal smaller than you asked for, but everywhere else it seems
>pretty well in line with your requirements.

As a fellow Virginian, allow me to take the liberty of putting in my own
two cents.  I have a friend (also from Virginia) who shared many traits
with the initial poster -- she was looking for a middlin'-sized school that
had a good music program and reasonable academics as well.  Unfortunatly,
she ended up at Shenandoah.

>From what she's told me, Shenandoah University makes it extremely
difficult to major in music while still taking a well-balanced slate of
courses:  something that would deter the original creater of this thread,
according to what he wrote.  Also, my friend has found the quality of both
the faculty and students there to be somewhat lacking (she was interested
in a violin performance major, by the way).

While these are, of course, the experiences of an individual student, I
think Shenandoah is better qualified to be a backup school than a first
choice.  My apologies to any lister who happens to be an alma mater from
this university; you're welcome to voice your own opinions, of course!

While we're on the subject of Virginia, however, I hear James Madison
University has a good music program.  It's a little far away from the
original poster's home, but it's pretty cheap!  Good luck with the college
search...

Everitt Clark
(NOT [log in to unmask])