From:
"Leighton M. Gill" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:23:53 -0700
Alan Dudley <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>I have never seen any harm in organisations of special interest groups
>being formed by like minded people.  Once formed, they may wish to exclude
>people without their special interest.

Like-minded people? Sure, nothing wrong with that.  I said in an earlier
post that forming an orchestra to play music of female composers of the
past who didn't get a fair shake is perfectly O.K.  It's not much different
from an ensemble specializing in, say, baroque repertoire, and no one loses
out on employment.  But when they hire only females as regular members of
their orchestra, and will commission new works only from female composers,
there is definitely harm.  In that case, they cease being people of like
minds and become people of like gonads.  Sexism is wrong, whether the
object of it has testicles or ovaries.

--Leigh