From:
Ian Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 09:52:52 +0100
I was the list member who responded to David Stewart's falling asleep
during VW's Third Symphony by stating that I fell asleep during the 1812
Overture.  I've been temporarily unsubscribed to the list since posting
that message, so I've missed out on list members' reactions.  However,
I'm glad I managed to stimulate some discussion.

The 1812 Overture is dreadful.  I think it is the combination of directness
with gimmicks which I find so unappealing.  The loud volume of so much of
the 1812 is part of the directness I find unsatisfying.

The naked triumphalism of the 1812 Overture is definitely one cause of
my dislike.  List members who remem,ber my previous postings will not
be surprised to learn that this is at the root of my view.

Just in case the irony didn't translate into electronic mail format:  I was
joking when I stated that I slept through the 1812.  Chance would be a fine
thing.

Ian Foster