From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 00:54:00 -0500
Allan Gotthelf:

>I would like to know if anyone who thinks Lipatti is bland and
>insufficiently romantic thinks that about his "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desire".
>I praised it precisely for its romantic, and breathtakingly beautiful
>character in an earlier post.

As the person who unwittingly started all this, I'd agree.  I also like
his Chopin a great deal.  The point is, it should be obvious that Lipatti
neither needs my praise nor crumples under my blame, such as it was.  I'm
not saying the emperor has no clothes.  I was really asking for help.  What
was I missing?

Again, I thank those people who've taken the time to tell me.  I now
understand why people respond so strongly to Lipatti's music-making.  I'm
not there yet, by and large, but at least it's no longer a mystery to me.

Steve Schwartz