From:
Anuradha Sivagurunathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 19:32:16 +0800
I don't know about that.....as a kid my home was filled with all kinds of
music, and my mom practically forced piano lessons down my throat......it
didn't work, I gravitated towards ROCK - really loud stuff...perhaps it was
an unconcious effort to agitate my parents.  Then somewhere along the line
I fell in love with an East German bloke, who'd studied in Russia and could
wax lyrical about Gayaneh, Russlan and Ludmila.  He introduced me to the
Sabre Dance, Carmina Burana - and I in turn brought into his circle Pink
Floyd and Led Zeppelin.  We had an amicable relationship listening and
learning, and discovering similarities in a variety of genres.  The
relationship died, but I still have the music......Then I spent a few
months bumming around Europe....where concerts abound.  Free too.  You
could go to St Pauls for Friday Evensong and be mesmerized, or sit out
at a park and hear members of the Concertgebouw play....buskers were
everywhere (often music students), people sat out at cafes and listened
to great music and acquainted themselves with new pieces.  Music is
everywhere......you don't need someone to spoon feed it to you....it's in
the record stores and you can go in for a free/trial listen....or sit out
at the park and be entertained (never having visited USA - I can 't vouch
for that end of the world) - or find it in malls, on TV (commercials love
classical music) or in the movies...make the effort.  My children will grow
up listening to classical music, the vacuum cleaner, pop, rock and just
about everything - but I'll not be able to guarantee that they will
conciously like classical music or go out and support the industry.  The
start is already there.....just continue weaving and a tapestry will be
formed.

cheers,
anu