From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 13:11:01 +0200
Donald Satz wrote:

>Many months back, I took the effort to compare every King recording to a
>comparable period instrument version(where one existed).  In every case,
>what sounded good with another conductor sounded great with King.  What was
>great with another conductor sounded like "straight from heaven" from King.

I have much respect for King too although I wouldn't consider him
necessarily *better* than, say, Gardiner at his best, but I suspect that
you have heard a lot more of King's Handel than I do.  I would beg to
differ as to King's being not a household name.  He's a very well known
director of early music and well respected, I'd have thought.  And then
there is the *fabulous* recent McCreesh recording of *Solomon* which seems
even better than the Gardiner I always out on first place.  But then
McCreesh can hardly be called a Handel-conductor.  Did King record Solomon?
If so, he has another potential buyer here thanks to your post ;)

Philip