From:
Irene Scopelliti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 21:53:38 +0100
I'd like to get in a deeper knowledge of string quartets, as I like very
much this musical form but also the ensemble.  What should I buy now? At
the moment I know:

Beethoven's complete string quartets (quartetto Italiano, Philips, Great
recording)
Schubert's last four quartets (quartetto Italiano, Philips, wonderful)
Dvorak's quartet op.96 'American' and Smetana's quartet no.1 'from my life'
(Amadeus quartet, DG, also very beautiful)
Debussy and Ravel string quartets (quartetto Italiano. Philips,
masterpiece!!)

I like very much the sound of quartetto italiano, especially in Schubert,
does anyone think a quartet can play better those pieces? Thank you in
advance,

Irene Scopelliti