From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 15:55:27 -0600
Bob Kasenchak [SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:

>I'm finding the Piano Sonata to be very intriguing, a curious blend of
>noises, with no real melody/accompany difference between the hands until
>about halfway through.  I almost found it more formally interesting than
>aesthetically pleasing, but sometimes 20th century CM takes a few times
>over to appreciate the "sound".  I need to give it another listen today.
>Anybody else's impressions of this piece?

To me, the Piano Sonata is a big, bopping, Romantic virtuoso piece.  The
declamatory opening especially.  By the way, who's the pianist on your CD?
Webster? Rosen?

Both the Piano Sonata and the Cello Sonata are sort of
Carter-on-the-threshhold of what we now see as his characteristic style.
I'd also include 8 Etudes and a Fantasy.  But in the String Quartets,
Carter crosses the threshhold.  I myself can't really claim to love Carter.
Everything is astonishingly well-written, however.  I tend to like
particular pieces in his catalogue, rather than to look forward to the
next thing or to eagerly snatch up what I haven't heard before.

Steve Schwartz