From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:27:56 -0500
Joel Hill wrote:

>In the book "Bid Time Return," which was turned into the movie "Somewhere
>in Time," the protagonists' favorite piece of music was the Mahler 10th,
>as I recall."

Joel Hill's post prompted me to read "Bid Time Return." While the
protagonist, Richard Collier, totes all 10 Mahler symphonies on cassette/
record around with him wherever he goes (no mention is made of "Das Lied
. . ."), he does not appear to have a favorite. And when he goes back in
time (to 1896, not 1912 as in the film), he learns that the woman he has
gone back to meet has never heard of Mahler.

Though not described as a favorite, Mahler's 9th figures prominently in the
novel, as listening repeatedly to the final adagio from the symphony helps
Collier make the trip back in time.

Ironically, the film presents the 18th Variation from Rachmaninov's
"Rhapsody . . ." as Collier's "favorite music in all the world," whereas in
the novel Collier dismisses Rachmaninov's music as "insignificant stuff."

John Dalmas