From:
Don Gunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 12:18:12 CST
John G. Deacon wrote:

>I read, and recall it quite clearly, that he was in his garage doing
>something to his car with the engine running and for some reason closed
>the main door.
>
>Can anyone, please, confirm this and/or the source?  I thought it was in
>Grove - it isn't!

I first learned this in the liner notes of the the CD:

   Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique,  Opus 14
   Liszt: Les Preludes, S. 97*
           Ataulfo Argenta, Paris Conservatoire Orchestra,
     *L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
           London   452 305-2

I had the LP from the 1960s, but never learned the cause of his death until
the CD notes related the story.

Donald L. Gunter, Ph.D.
Dept. of Medical Physics and Diagnostic Radiology
Rush-Pres. St. Luke's Medical Center