From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:53:10 +1100
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>You Lucky Devil! You managed to repress Ken Russell's "Mahler."

Apparently I'm even luckier, I've never seen it, but must confess that,
in order not to offend well-meaning relatives, I've both read and seen the
film of "Immortal Beloved"!  I apologise to any lister who is scandalised
by this news, but my soul feels better already.

However, I'm prepared to forgive Ken Russell his outrages because of his
wonderful Delius and Elgar films which I think are models of their kind.
There was also one on Vaughan Williams of which I saw the first frame
before a thunderstorm knocked out the TV reception which returned in time
for the end credits.  Does anyone recall whether this was also Russell or
indeed, anything else about it?

Richard Pennycuick