From:
John Dalmas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 17:10:14 -0500
David Gable wrote:

>I for one would love to hear that earlier Boulez. Is it on CD anywhere?

Don't really know.  It was available underground for years on reel tape.
I heard it at a friend's, I think in the early 70s, when most of us had
only the old Knappertsbusch lps on London to compare with it.  It may have
been originally recorded in 1966, but the year of the FM broadcast I'm
almost positive was 1968.  As I remember, too, the mono sound quality of
the aircheck left something to be desired.  Amy Shuard was the Kundry.  Now
that I have the Levine, and heard the Met broadcast a few years ago, don't
know if I want to go back to it.  I'll keep a look out though.

This newer Boulez on DGG I believe was also available underground on tape
in a pirated version, but I never heard it.  I would be interested in how
you feel it compares with the Levine.

John Dalmas