From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 20:59:13 -0500
Jon Johanning <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>John Dalmas wrote:
>
>>It is arguable if any symphony written by an American can be considered
>>great.
>
>That's an interesting comment. Could you be more specific about why you
>feel that way?

I don't know for John, but although I personally feel that there are some
genuinely great American symphonies (Harris's 3rd, Sessions's 7th and some
others), I suppose that it depends on what one calls a great symphony!
Would it sound offensive if I asked whether any symphony written by a
Croatian or a Swede can be considered great? There is a difference in the
total quantity of symphonies composed, but the question is of the same
category for me.  And whereas I would certainly answer "yes" for Sweden
(which few people would do here in France...), I'd find it more difficult
for Croatia, although I thoroughly like and appreciate the few symphonies
I know (Slavenski's Orijenta, Sulek's 6th,...).  Maybe we are asking much,
or maybe we are asking all that we have already found -- in previous
masterpieces.  So, I'd rather answer yes for Croatia as well, but would
not be horrified if somebody wondered about it.

Best regards

Thanh-Tam Le