From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 14:23:23 PST
Jeff Tedford wrote in response to me:

>> Penguin's thinking is that folks who are avid readers but not avid
>> music buyers will purchase the cd's for the liner notes; the music
>> becomes an added bonus.
>
>I think there's a little more to it than that.  For the CM addict
>the strategy is to remind us of a favorable Penguin Guide rating.

Sorry, but the CM addict did not play any part in the genesis of this
series, nor does it have any role in the execution of the series.  I
base my comments on an article in the March/April issue of Fanfare which
interviews the Penguin representative who thought up the series and a
Polygram representative who collaborated on the project.

Of course, strategy and actual events can differ.  Have any list members
bought one or more discs in the Penguin series? I'm a little embarrassed
to say that I'm enticed some by the Brendel/Mozart recording of piano
concertos nos.  21 & 23.  I just don't remember having this one, and I
haven't sifted through my collection yet.

I had never bought any duplicates until this year.  I've done it twice,
and I'm determined not to take "three strikes." Have any of you exceeded
my total? Will those who keep an accurate data bank in their computers
respond with that "I told you so" demeanor? That's okay, I deserve it.

Don Satz