From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 18:43:45 -0500
Thank you for your homage to Menuhin.

I apologize for not feeling up to a more substantial statement (I made one
for the French classical mailing-list, and already felt that words were
painfully weak and plain).  I only wish that more and more people will come
to realize how great a violinist he was, not only as a child prodigy, but
as a mature musician as well.  Many young instrumentalists (notably in the
United States, his own country) feel entitled to say that he was not a good
technician.  They should know better.  In his better days, his technique
could be faultless and as virtuosic as anybody on earth.  But it was part
of a soul, a mind and a spirit.  Some people will sneer but I do not care.
Nobody will ever replace him inside us.

Approaching him, even for a few minutes, in music, was an unforgettable
priviledge.  Everybody says that he had a special radiance.  He had one --
beyond any description.  He was a human, intelligent and noble artist, if
such words ever had a deep meaning.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le
(Laureate of the Menuhin Foundation)