From:
Kar-Ming Chong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 09:23:46 +0800
Last night, as part of the Festival of Perth, Perth music lovers were
fortunate enough to have Joaquin Achucarro, a Spanish pianist, performing
piano pieces by Chopin's Barcarolle in F sharp, Sonata 3.  The rest of the
recital consist of pieces by Granados and Albeniz - taken from Goyecas
and Iberia.  To say that Achucarro played these pieces well is an
understatement.  All I can say is that the Debussy piece from Preludes
Book 2 for encore has never sounded better than this.

Information from the booklet indicates that Achucarro has completed and
recorded his revision (at the composer's request) of Rodrigo's Piano
Concerto.  Also he has prizewinning recordings of Goyecas and the complete
piano works of Falla.

Can anyone offer information on the label of these recordings and I would
appreciate more information on this virtually unknown Spanish pianist
(well, to me anyway).

Cheers

Kar-Ming Chong
University of Western Australia