From:
Jane Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 04:19:37 -0500
... in agreement to comments of others, I, too stand behind my friend J.S.
Bach...

A twelve year old piano student of mine suddenly awoke to the genius of
Bach, while studying a two part invention.  It is obvious watching him
discover the scales, counterpoint, fingering the phrasing, that Bach is
not just an icon on the desktop but is very alive in his twisting,turning,
and emotional growth from intricate changes in fingering to emphasize the
punctuation with crisp staccatos and long phrases to the sudden end subdom,
dominant, and root while maintaining the tempo.  The constant rythm and
dynamic markings squeeze the emotion in and out of crescendos and
decrescendos and the fullness of tone by reaching deep down into the keys
to bring the required clean tone.  Recently I have been requiring students
to listen to their interpretation of Bach through recording practices, as
well as listen to recordings of various artists playing Bach.  I think Bach
composed so many of his works to teach students the form of music and then
perfect volume and sforzandos on the pianoforte.  In his day it was a new
evolving instrument.

I really enjoy the discourse of this listserv and am very impressed with
the knowledge its members demonstrate.  I am learning so much.  Thank you
for allowing me to listen in.

Jane Pierce