From:
Stirling S Newberry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 13:27:10 -0500
I can only speak for myself and some other people who I know.  Ozawa is
more of a disappointment than a disaster, but he is a disappointment that
seems to be destined to remain in place for a very long time.  When he was
young he showed that he had an incredible talent, the ability to control
and move and direct an orchestra.  There were high hopes that this would
be the conductor who would take Boston upward and forward, that there were
years of great performances to come.  The problem is that this talent is
not attached to any great insight into music.  He can thus keep orchestras
together through very difficult pieces, but he does not seem to be able to
often deliver the depth of the music.

As I've made it clear before, I hope that the BSO directors decide to
do the thing they would not ever do - appoint Jonathan Yoo of the
Metamorphesen chamber ensemble as the next director.

Stirling S Newberry