From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 14:00:57 -0600
Stirling Newberry wrote:

>...  If you have to show people everything, then with any inner labor,
>there is nothing to *show*.  The author sits and types.  We learn about the
>process only by what they do to release themselves from it.  We can show
>memories perhaps, in the form of film.  But not thinking, not the inner
>dialog.
>
>The limitation is not one inherent in film. Quite the reverse. It is a
>limitation on our taste in film.

I'm more and more coming to the conclusion that it's also a limitation
in filmmakers.  I mean, Leonard Bernstein's talk about how Beethoven put
together his Fifth Symphony through an examination of the sketches manages
to make that process very interesting.  I'd also recommend the film "Pi,"
about a very disturbed mathematician, which at least makes intelligible
something of how a mathematician sees the world.  Watching "Pi" was in many
ways an irritating experience for me, but I can honestly say that by the
end of the movie, the protagonist's obsession with the golden spiral became
my vicarious obsession.

Steve Schwartz