From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 20:44:48 -0600
Doug Purl asks for choral music inspired from beginning to end.

I don't know of *any* music like that, except for extremely short pieces,
but choral works that come close for me are:

Byrd: Mass for 5 Voices
Byrd & Tallis: Cantiones sacrae
Almost anything by Thomas Weelkes
Purcell: Funeral Sentences (aka, Music on the Death of Queen Mary)
Vivaldi: Gloria in D
Handel: Messiah, Israel in Egypt, Dixit Dominus
Bach: Magnificat in D, Cantata No. 4, Cantata No. 50, Cantata No. 21, Motet
      "Singet dem Herrn ein neues Lied
      I know Doug can't stand the theology, but concentrate on the music
Mozart: Requiem, Mass in c, Vesperes solennes de confessore
Haydn: Lord Nelson Mass
Beethoven: Missa solemnis, Elegaic Song
Mendelssohn: Elijah, Choruses from Christus
Berlioz: Requiem
Schumann: Spanisches Liederspiel
Brahms: sacred motets, 5 Songs op. 104, 4 Songs op. 17
Bruch: GruB an der heiligen Nacht
Grieg: Landkjenning
Faure: Cantique du Jean Racine, Requiem
Debussy: Le Martyre de St.-Sebastien, 3 Chansons
Ravel: 3 Chansons
Durufle: Requiem, 4 Motets
Stravinsky: Oedipus Rex
Bartok: Cantata profana
Hindemith: 6 Chansons
Vaughan Williams: Mass in g, Hodie, Serenade to Music, Valiant-for-Truth,
Fantasia on Christmas Carols, Dona nobis pacem
Holst: 2 Carols for women's voices and oboe
Britten: Ceremony of Carols, Choral Dances from Gloriana, Hymn to St.
         Cecilia, War Requiem, Shepherd's Carol, Ballad of Little Musgrave
         and Lady Barnard
Copland: In the Beginning
Thompson: The Peaceable Kingdom, Alleluia, Last Words of David
Thomson: 4 Southern Hymns
Poulenc: 4 Motets for a Time of Penitence, 4 Christmas Motets, Stabat
         mater, Gloria
Shaw-Parker, Dawson, Hall Johnson: Spiritual arrangements
Larsson: Disguised God
Bloch: Sacred Service (Avodath Hakodesh)

That's just off the top of my head.  I have no theological interest in any
of the pieces listed.

Steve Schwartz