From:
Julia Werthimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 21:16:20 -0800
Donald Satz wrote:

>>I thought the film held back anything significant and insightful concerning
>>Jackie's artistic development.  This was a major weakness of the movie. ...

And Jon Johanning commented:

>I haven't seen the movie (don't intend to), and don't know anything
>about the people responsible for making it, but I would suggest that
>there is another possibility: these folks don't know anything about how
>musicians develop, and therefore couldn't possibly have put it into the
>film.  It strikes me that people who know something about music usually
>have better things to do than make movies, and movie-makers only know how
>to sensationalize music, not present it realistically (look at Ken
>Russell's oeuvre, for example).

I think it would be extraordinarily difficult to show something like
musical development in a film - which after all is a visual medium.
Creative activity (for want of a better phrase) goes on in a person's head,
and therefore resists demonstration in a movie.  You're left with images
of the composer or writer, say, looking soulful and writing down notes or
phrases with long pauses in between!  Utterly unconvincing, but this is how
the creative process is usually shown on the screen.

Julia Werthimer <[log in to unmask]>
California, USA