From:
Henrik Sorensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 00:56:14 +0100
If you look long and hard enough and are willing to pay full price, I
suppose you could find better performances than what the Kodalys have to
offer.  My personal favourites are the Lindsays and the Quatuor Mosaiques
(on period instruments).

But, as you say, the price is right for the Kodalys, and generally speaking
they are very fine.  I particularly like their recordings of opp.  71 and
74, and of the Sieben letzte Worte quartet.

As to a 'must have' list: that's easy, all of them!

Seriously, though, some quartets are more important than others.  My list
would include opp.  20, 33, 64, 71, 74 and 76.

Henrik Sorensen