From:
Henrik Sorensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:21:34 +0100
Sam Pawlett wrote:

>What do listers think of Ciccolini and Koscis playing Liszt's Years of
>Pilgrimage?

As far as I know Kocsis has only recorded the Third Year.

Much as I admire this fine pianist, particularly in Debussy and Bartok, I'm
not so keen on his Liszt.  Not that it's bad, to me it just feels slightly
uninvolving.  I don't adhere to the view that Liszt should be played in a
barnstorming fashion, but even so, Kocsis sounds somewhat detached.

It's currently available on a Philips twofer coupled with Brendel's
recording of the first two Annees, and as such is a pretty good bargain.
I bought it mainly for Brendel's contribution, though, and I do think it's
a pity he's never recorded that Third Year.

My personal favourite, however, remains Lazar Berman on DG (a three-disc
set at mid price). That is in a different class altogether!

Henrik Sorensen